1.05.2017

Planning Ahead

I am still on break for a couple more days.  My daughter had to go back to school yesterday, so I had the house to myself (well, me and the pets).  I pulled out all the stuff I brought home to do over break, laid it on the couch and then proceeded to watch TV and play on my phone.  I did get some planning done and made some (more) changes to my yearly plan. 


Every summer, I plan out my year.  I put in everything I know I will do and everything I hope to do throughout the year.  It's broken down by week, but it gives me a great visual of what I am doing, how long I am doing it, etc.  I've been doing this for quite some time now and it works for me.  We have been using the same reading program for 15 years, so I know how much time I need, what I can forget and what needs more time.  That's about the only constant in my plans. 


We started a new math program this year, so that has a major learning curve as it is.  Our district sent out a pacing guide, but I didn't understand it (the same chapters were to be covered in each trimester...not standards, chapters).  I originally planned to start at chapter 1 and work through, but my kids needed a break from addition and subtraction, so we have started to jump around more than I had planned.  But giving them something new awakened in them a renewed spirit for learning.  We will jump into measurement next week and see how long it takes to learn to tell time.  I'm scared. 


As I was sitting on the couch planning with my dog yesterday, we were having a discussion (don't judge, you know you do it, too) about the 100th day of school.  I have done the 100th day for years.  I've always enjoyed it and it was a day I looked forward to.  A couple years ago, we thought to change it up and do the 120th day, since our standard was to count up to 120.  2 years ago I did the 120th day.  It was fun, but not as much fun.  It lost it's appeal.  There aren't any books about it, so it's harder to tie in literature dealing with 120.  Last year I had planned to do the 120th day, and I did, but I only put half my heart into it.  I had done stuff on the 100th day (which made some of my teammates mad, although I don't know why.  It is my class after all), so the stuff 20 days later didn't have the same awe.  I've decided to go back to doing the 100th day.  It's a big milestone in class and it's something the kids will like.  After seeing tons of pins on Pinterest about it, I am more excited now than I was before!  So, come January 30, we will party like it's the 100th day of school! 


In the summers, I always try and plan new things to keep from falling into the repeat cycle like so many at my school site.  They do the same thing every. single. year. without fail.  I would be bored out of my mind!  There are some things I do the same, but I like to change things up, find new things to challenge me as well.  I always want to, strive to do art each week.  Like real art lessons.  But then time gets in the way.  Things that must get done, things we are catching up on thanks to crappy behavior or simply crappy behavior that has me on the edge.  I have made a conscious effort to plan at least 1 art lesson/project each week for the next 4 weeks.  It may not seem like a lot, but baby steps.  I'm even fitting one in next week to go with our story for the week that we will do during our intervention time.  While it's not ideal, it's not going to make it or break it for the kids.  In fact, they will have 2 projects next week.  Gotta get those creative juices flowing somehow! 


With my plans done for now, I need to focus on the organizing of all the stuff I brought home.  I don't know what I was thinking, other than I thought I'd spend a lot of time doing school work.  I was wrong, like always.  Instead I've spent time with my family, which is way more important right now.


Happy Thursday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment