1.01.2017

Happy New Year 2017!

Happy New Year!  It's safe to say that 2016 was an interesting year.  While it wasn't a bad year for me, it had its ups and downs.  But, I am here to say that 2017 will be a better year, a great year!  One of my goals this year is to be less Negative Nelly and more Positive Polly.  It's very hard for me, as I am a true pessimist, but I need to bring the positive things that happen to light and try to find the positive in as many areas as I can. 


It's safe to say this school year is a bit more challenging than the last 2 years have been.  I was spoiled with students who, while not prefect, were really good.  They liked what we were doing, they really seemed to enjoy learning and behavior issues were few and far between.  This year's class is a bit less interested in learning, their behavior is less than desirable and they don't have the drive the last classes had.  Half the parents don't seem interested in their child's progress or behavior and have excuses for everything.  The other half make sure their child is working hard and behaving and are there to back me up.  It's a tough dynamic for sure.  Add in the fact that I am the revolving door this year, so all the new kids are mine.  And they all have come in super, super low.  It's an uphill battle every day, and that really has worn on me the last few weeks. 


On top of work, I was dealing with dental issues since July.  Tooth pain does not make life fun.  Finally before Thanksgiving I had to have the tooth pulled, but that brings its own issues.  Hopefully by August everything will be taken care of and back to normal...or a new normal anyway.  I know this hasn't helped my attitude at school, so I am hoping to be better come the 9th when we go back to work. 


My friend at work who lost her husband on our 5th day of school hasn't come back and is taking the whole year off.  I've lost my BFF at work and it's been hard, but I have learned that I can work without her and survive.  We have worked together for 18 of my 19 years teaching.  It has really changed the dynamics of our grade level.  We had different subs in and out before they hired the temporary teacher.  She was only contracted thru January 20, but I guess it will be extended through the end of the year, if that's what happens.  Our district personnel are not too quick in getting things done this way.  Should be an interesting next couple of weeks! 


My goal for this year at school is to try and be more positive.  I really wanted to be more positive when the year started, but it wasn't possible with this group.  I had to bring back the behavior chart, as rewards weren't enough to keep them on the right track.  They need that visual reminder of how to behave the right way.  I need to breath more, and focus on the kiddos who are doing things the right way, rather than the opposite.  That's all on me, so I need to step up my teacher game! 


A few more days of vacation left, and I will be super busy.  A couple days at Disneyland, lunch with friends, a date day with hubby and a family Christmas party on Saturday (my sister is moving back to the area with her family and they will be coming then), my week is pretty busy, but it will motivate me to get things done...like all the stuff I brought home and haven't looked at yet!  ;)


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment