1.12.2014

Sunday Blues

Well, it's official.  Vacation is now over.  I have my lesson plans done, my stuff is packed up and ready to go and my clothes are in the process of being laid out for the week.  I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for heading back to work.  And it's not quite working.  But, it is time to go back, get back into a routine and get back to doing what I do well - teaching my little firsties. 


I'm still "old school" and I hand write out my lesson plans.  It helps me remember what I am doing during the week.  I basically write them down and then I don't have to look at them again.  I may have to this week as there are some new things I am doing that I haven't quite got engrained into my brain yet.  But I am excited to be trying something new. 


Which goes back to me being "old school".  I am still trying to wrap my head around CCSS.  I have taught the same things and the same way for so long, that I am not comfortable stepping outside my comfort zone.  But I'm trying.  I have been toying with the idea of doing away with spelling tests.  They aren't 100% CCSS friendly, and I don't know if the kids really remember the spelling rules once the test is done.  I keep going back and forth.  Any insight on this?  Same thing with word walls.  I have always had a word wall in my room until this year.  I took it down in favor of an anchor chart wall, but I see my kids' writing suffering.  In years past, my kids would go the wall, find the word they needed and then go back and spell it correctly.  Now, they don't even try to sound it out and I get crap in their writing.  I have taken down the anchor charts (and need to find them a new home) and have things ready for the word wall, but them someone told me not to put it up so I haven't.  I think I need to use my judgment and just put the darn thing back up.  I will feel better and I think my kids will write better.  Any insight here? 


This week we will jump into the world of digraphs.  I really like the story in the anthology (Moving Day).  We will talk about antonyms, sequence of events, compare and contrast, fact v. fiction and more.  On Friday, we will do a directed draw of a hermit crab.  I love this week!  We will also continue working on writing a good personal narrative.  In math, we venture into tens and ones.  I'm hoping we have a good understanding already, but that we can also have a little bit of fun.  Who knows!  And we will cap it off by talking about winter - something we don't have here in So Cal.  It's supposed to be in the upper 70's and lower 80's this week.  But we can pretend that we're in the snow...or at least talk about it anyway! 


Happy Sunday everyone.  Here's to jumping back into the working world and seeing my kids again.  Ready or not, here I come!   

No comments:

Post a Comment