1.03.2014

OLW: Enjoy

I saw a lot of posts lately with everyone's word for the year.  I thought long and hard about mine before I chose it.  My word this year is ENJOY!  I need the reminder every now and then to enjoy what I have and try not to take things so seriously.  I am bad like that. 

I need to enjoy my family.  I love them to death, but I need to spend time with them and enjoy being with them.  Doing the little things and not worrying about the big things.  My house may be messy, but if I'm having fun with my daughter, then that is worth it! 

I need to enjoy my work.  I love teaching, but the enjoyment has gone from it.  I have been so focused on student behavior and student growth (both of which are less than great this year) that I have forgotten to have some fun in class and enjoy the time we have together.  I will still have the stinky behaviors and lower students, but I want to enjoy being with them and having more fun than we have been having this year. 

I need to enjoy my home.  I get so stressed out when things are unorganized and the laundry is piled high on the couch.  I am learning to let it go.  I will eventually fold the laundry.  It may take awhile, but hubby doesn't mind.  He says it's easier to find what he's looking for on the couch!  I need to enjoy what I have at home and be thankful for all that we have. 

I need to enjoy life.  The good, the bad and the ugly.  Last September when I got sick, it really put me in a funk.  I was in a funk at home and at school.  It really affected me more than I let on to people.  I was feeling sorry for myself that I got sick.  I was upset that I missed so much work and I used it as an excuse for a bit as to why my kids weren't doing well.  In fact, the parents used it as an excuse for their children, too.  I finally came to the realization that I am here now and they have some learning to do!  I was upset that my daughter was away from me for a week, but I look at it that she was being cared for by her grandparents and she got some extra time with them that she wouldn't have had.  I was upset that I was sick and threw everyone's lives into a tailspin, but I'm alive.  I could have died from my illness, but I didn't.  I don't have any lasting effects from it and if anything, I have become a bit healthier from it.  I've stopped drinking soda and have started drinking more water.  I realized I needed to stop feeling sorry for myself and go back to living life.  As silly as it sounds, I had to make that decision. 

I realize that not everyday will be rainbows and unicorns, but I can make those days happen more by changing my attitude.  It's something I have to do and will do this year. 

So, with my one week left of vacation, I will enjoy the time I have at home to myself, enjoy the time I have to plan and enjoy the time I have to be a stay at home mom while it lasts.  After that, it will be back to enjoying the craziness of life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment