9.13.2013

Back in the saddle...

It's official!  I am able to go back to work on Monday!  I will be working half days this next week before going back to full time status, but I get to go back to work!  I am so excited to be able to see my kids and start getting back to some reality. 

I went to my classroom for a bit this afternoon.  Since I wasn't able to leave sub plans for the last 2 weeks, the teacher was left to fend for herself with the limited notes I gave her.  My friend tried to help her and show her what to do, but those plans weren't followed very well.  The sub enjoyed having her own class and did what she wanted.  So now I am left to pick up the pieces and start all over again come Monday.  And I am trying to understand what that means.  It's going to be hard, the kids are going to have some issues and I am going to have some issues, but we will make it through. 

The sad thing is we are behind.  We are behind the other classes in their learning now.  We are behind in math and reading and writing.  I don't know what they did in science really.  So I think we will just start on Monday like it's a new first day.  I'm going to call it the First Day of School 2.0.  Couldn't hurt, right?  We will start off slow to begin with, get used to each other again and then do what we can within the time we have during the day that I am there.  They will have a (different) sub for the second half of the day, but I will be in control of the sub plans then.  I get to have a say as to what happens.  I get to control the flow of the day again! 

If nothing else, this has made me open my eyes a bit to being prepared better.  Normally when I am gone, my plans are written out to the point a monkey could follow them.  But with being sick and not as prepared as I should have been, I left my kids in a bad place.  I need to really seriously think about doing an emergency sub tub, but one that can last for a week or more.  I do not plan to miss that much more school, but you never know.  I didn't plan to get sick the last 2 weeks, but things like that happen I guess.  At least it happened to me. 

It's hard to believe that September is half over.  I haven't been to work at all.  All my fun and amazing activities that we were to have done...won't happen.  All the neat projects and science experiments will have to wait for next year.  And I don't like that feeling.  But we need to move on, not try and go back to do things.  And that makes me sad,  which is an emotion I have felt quite a lot lately.  A lot of sadness and self-pity going on in my world.  That should go away come Monday when I am back to work and back where I belong! 

As for the next 2 days, I will stay at home with my family, take it easy and rest and be ready to go kick butt on Monday!  Here's to a great weekend! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you will be able to go back to work, even if it is part-time. I can only imagine how hard it must be not knowing where they are or what they did while you were gone! We are only required to leave one week's lesson plans if we are out for an extended period of time and then the sub is expected to plan with the team so everyone is on the same page. (Not that it always happens but that's what they expect.)

    ReplyDelete