6.22.2013

Books, Books and More Books!

Today I went shopping!  I went into Orange County to the Scholastic Warehouse book sale.  It's like an early Christmas present for me and my class.  Actually, it was like Christmas for everyone.  I think we all got something out of the trip!  Hubby stopped at a Law bookstore before and got some thing he needed and then we were off to Scholastic! 

I had signed up to go to the sale in May, but I was gone on the weekends they were having them.  I won't go during the week (I was still teaching, so couldn't really) as I don't want to fight with everyone trying to get to work in OC or LA.  Too crazy!  I figured I had missed it and was OK with that.  But on Wednesday, as I was cleaning out my school bags and throwing things away, I found the postcard.  I went on line to see if they were still having the sale and they were!  It ended today.  So, I printed off my coupon and asked hubby if he would mind driving out there.  He said as long as he got to visit the law bookstore, we were good to go!  So we went! 

This warehouse we went to is one for their book fairs.  There are shelves and shelves of books.  We walked up and down each aisle, or at least the aisles that pertained to me and my first graders.  I started tossing books in the cart left and right!  It was wonderful.  I was able to get some books of authors/series that I am collecting for me and my daughter - Fancy Nancy, Pinkalicious, anything by Mo Willems and many more.  Like I said, I just started tossing things into the cart.  My hubby and daughter spent time looking at the cookbooks and then went looking for books for her.  While she is going into second grade, she is a big chapter book reader, so she was looking for books for her.  She found quite a few.  Success! 

But then came the bad news.  I had to scan the books to see how much they really cost.  And some of them were just too much.  :(  I was very sad.  Hubby said it was OK to buy a couple of the $$$$ books, so I limited myself to 2.  Some were a fantastic deal while others were just an OK deal.  We left a little poorer, but that's OK.  That will get me my new book buying bug gone for a while!  Plus, I have a whole bunch of books to go through and read and add to my collections!  And to top it off, there were adult reading level books there and I was able to pick up a couple of books for pretty cheap.  I hope they are decent reads! 

Speaking of decent reads, I just finished Home Front by Kristin Hannah.  All I can say is WOW!  I read it in about 6 hours over 2 days.  Hubby was a little irritated last night that I was just reading, but it sucked me in.  I don't normally cry reading books, but this one did it!  But I thought it was a very good book.  I have only recently started reading Kristin Hannah and I think I am hooked.  I read Fly Away last month and really enjoyed it as well.  If you are looking for some good fiction-but-could-really-happen, then check these out! 


Now I am waiting for my next summer read to come on sale on Tuesday.  I have, in the last couple of years, started reading all the books by Elin Hilderbrand.  They all take place in Nantucket.  I've never been, but I want to go now!  She writes one book a year and it always seems to come out in summer.  A good summer read.  I plan to go to Sam's Club on Tuesday morning and get it!  Can't wait to stay up late reading when it's all quiet in my house! 

And then, a new Danielle Steel book will be out soon, too.  She is my go-to author.  Easy reads, but I enjoy them. 

Add these to the cupboard of books I have to read someday.  I really enjoy reading, but I don't make enough time during the school year to read.  I need to try to do more of it, since it is so relaxing and enjoyable.  That's why I like easy reads where I don't have to think too much and can just enjoy the story! 

Well, if I want to be able to sit down and read tonight, I should get something productive done today.  We were gone all day, so nothing got done.  And I'm kinda tired now, so I can't guarantee that anything will get done tonight!  Happy reading! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the book reviews! Ive been debating reading K. Hannah and Hildebrand for awhile but didn't really know anyone thathad read or recommended them. They're on my list now! You got me all book excited! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete