2.26.2013

I need an answer, please!

So, I'm getting ready to go to another CCSS meeting today, but I was thinking about our math meeting last week. We have the standards all over the place and with our testing, they are in every single trimester. But I started wondering...in the perfect world, are the CCSS standards to be covered throughout the year, or by area? For example, our Geometry standards are spread across all 3 trimesters - first they have to know the attributes, then at 3rd, they have to know how to divide the shapes and identify the solids, etc. To me, it seems like we ate stretching a unit too far over the year. But I know now, I feel like I haven't done addition and subtraction justice and we are running out of school year. I know the next 3 weeks are dedicated to money (I can't wait til CCSS where we don't have to stress about money!), and I can do some addition and subtraction, but not like I want. Grrrr! Anyway, those of you that are doing CCSS already, please help a girl out. How do you cover the math standards to where it makes sense for you and your kiddos.

Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Okay so, my district just purchased a new math program that I happened to pilot bc it's written 110% in alliance with the CCSS. The way it works in first grade is a linear progression although I'll be honest, I wish I could move chunks of it around. If i'm right there are either 4 or 5 math domains or overarching categories for the CCSS. In first grade, we have like 6 units (5-6 days each) on Number and Operations which, for us is adding and subtracting. Then, about 4-5 units on Place Value (that's where I am now). I think next is Measurement and then Geometry is in the end of the year. Does that make any sense? There is no spiral like in Everyday Math, but there are CCSS review pages daily.

    So the units are pretty separate and distinct. I'll be honest by Thanksgiving, I was sick of adding/subtracting and doubles and near doubles....Place Value has been a much need relief but I can't wait for measurement and geometry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teach in Ca. too and my first grade team mate and I are the only grade level at our school teaching common core math. We LOVE it! We have been given the freedom of moving the standards around and teaching them in a way that works for the children, developmentally, and for us. It's a lot of work to plan, but I truly feel like my kids understand numbers this year. They can take them apart and put them together with ease. They do a lot of their own story problems and a lot of sharing how they got the answer. In California, our first graders WILL NOT be taking the end of the year test in second grade so our administrator is not worried about common core standards matching up with the test. As a team we decided to spend the majority of the year on number sense and save the end of the year for time and money. We will relate money to skip counting and introduce the name and value of coins.
    heyjbales@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teach in Illinois and my district adopted CCSS last year to get a jump-start on the official implementation. Teachers are given the freedom to move parts of the standards around, as long as the standards are taught by the end of the year. I love the core domains that CCSS sets up, such as Numbers and Operations, Algebraic Thinking, Fractions, Measurement and Data, and Geometry. It is great to look at what third grade is doing and what fifth grade is doing so I can plan in-between and have a natural progress of the standards. I can look at 4.G.1 (fourth grade, geometry, standard one) and compare it to 3.G.1 and 5.G.1. This is probably the best part of CCSS!

    Be flexible and encourage your peers to be flexible as well! It is going to take some getting used to, but I think the standards are a great foundation for education across the nation!

    ReplyDelete