Holy cow! This year is already going by way too fast! It needs to slow down or there needs to be more hours in the day. I don't have time to get it all done at school or at home. It's nuts!
Here's a brief picture-less rundown of the last 2 (or is it 3) weeks.
- My class is pretty stable right now with 22 kids. I am lucky that we are as low as we are considering other schools are at 26 - 29 kids. I will gladly take my little class and work with them. They have come around to my way of thinking and they are a pretty good, well-behaved bunch. We have our moments, but who doesn't? I was threatened last week by a student, but a "meeting" with the dad and telling the dad how it's going to be and things are all good now. I think the child is the really bright one in the family, but no one knows how to help him.
- Overall I have a relatively low bunch of kids. They are moving, but it's slow going. I have to change my way of doing things to make it fit their way of learning. So, it's been a bit of a learning curve for us all. Who would have thought that after 15 years, it didn't work anymore? Things will be a work in progress for a while, but I guess that means we will all be learning this year! And that's not even adding in the Common Core standards. That will be another bundle of fun next year!
- I started teaching my student on Home Hospital. They won't be at school for a while, so I have to go to their house. I was nervous at first as to how it would go, but oh my word! Such a cutie! And we get so much done in an hour one on one! I am sharing it with another teacher due to time constraints on my part, and the student told me yesterday that I was their real teacher and the other teacher was their pretend teacher! Made me all warm and fuzzy! I will be so happy when the child gets to come to school every day and I know the will be super happy, too!
- While this group of kids don't really care to write, they CAN draw! It's so nice! We did a directed drawing 2 weeks ago of the mouse from Who's Mouse Are You? and they turned out so well! When I get a picture of them, I will post it. I was in awe of how well they did. Made me excited to do more art, but we haven't had a lot of time lately. :(
- We have been learning about matter. Not a great unit, but the kids have really gotten into it. We were "scientists" today and went to see how solids change into liquids. Good thing it's still summer and only 100* so the ice melts in like 30 seconds flat and evaporates in 45 seconds! We melted chocolate chips and crayons, too! Oh, and kids start to melt in about a minute and a half! :)
- We had "training" on Common Core and I know nothing more today than I did on Monday before the training! All I know is that CA will be behind the times and we will have to use old curriculum to teach new standards! Sounds like fun! But it looks like we won't have to teach money anymore! If that's true, AMEN! Not my favorite thing to teach to kids!
- Well, after typing this, I feel like it's been pretty boring. But, doing the home hospital left me no time to work in my room, get things done, etc. I am hoping to get a little more caught up in the next week and feel somewhat normal again soon! Thankfully tomorrow is Friday! I am exhausted and I only will have taught 3 days this week. But, we are fighting colds here, so I am beat! Happy Friday and Happy Weekend!