7.20.2012

3 and counting

I have 3 weeks til school starts.  That is, when the students walk in the door and the parents expect me to teach their children.  And I'm not ready.  We have been on vacation for 8 wonderful weeks.  I have been to school for 3 of those days.  Glorious!  But I am starting to feel the need to go in and see what mess I left myself.  Actually, it's not really a mess, but I did buy some stuff at Lakeshore, so I need to go and put it up - which means take down all the stuff I already put up.  But it'll be OK, cause the stuff I bought is way cute!

I brought quite a bit home to look at this summer.  I looked at some things and have ignored others.  I guess the time has come to look at all of it or take it back to school.  I did get some things made for math, so I am not worried about that at all.  I have ideas for reading in my head (I had the great idea to do Daily 5, but I never made it past Chapter 1...I lost motivation and got too preoccupied as to how I would make it work with my schedule.  Someone had emailed me and it made me nervous that I was going to have to give up too much of the time I feel I need to devote to my whole group learning.  Yeah, I'm a chicken!), but I haven't done too much with them.  I should work on that.  Maybe tonight, since I did take a 2 hour nap today after not sleeping well last night and I am wide awake now!  :)

In these last 3 weeks of freedom, I still have a lot I want to do.  I want to take my daughter to an art museum, but we don't seem to have any out here in the IE.  Our zoo passes expired, and I just haven't renewed them yet.  Legoland is a tourist paradise right now, and not the place I want to be with thousands of sweaty people.  We did go to San Diego the other day (a 74 miles trip one way), but she had to have an audiogram done.  We realized she had never had a hearing test (even at school) and when she went for a check up, she didn't pass with her left ear.  So a trip to SD confirmed some mild hearing loss (yeah, no Mother of the Year award here...I have already beaten myself up over this enough that I am OK with it.  Yeah, NOT!) and now I have to try to get her into the ENT before school starts.  Fun times!  But, she is reading at a 3rd grade level (she's going into 1st) and her speech is way better than it was before, so I am not too worried about her hearing, just want to make sure she is A-OK!

Well, the sun has set on another week off.  I will enjoy the routine of being back to work, but with that brings its own challenges - soccer practice, girl scouts, lesson planning - all the fun stuff we don't think about in the summer!  But for now, I will enjoy the last of my summer with my family and just maybe get some things done for school!  Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. omg 3 weeks? we start in september and im already freaking out !! im your newest follower...drop by =)

    Just Wild About Teaching

    ReplyDelete