6.17.2012

I'm baaaaaaack!

Wow!  I took a longer than expected break from blogging.  No real reason behind it really, other than I didn't want to.  I didn't have anything to say, nothing to share and nothing that was of any interest to others.  Honestly, I doubt I have any of that today, but I am going to write anyway!

I have been on vacation for 3 weeks now.  I have loved my break.  I was very sad when I realized it had been 3 weeks already.  That means there are only 6 weeks left.  Or 7.  I have to count.  Either way, it's going to fast!  I don't even have my pool ready yet!  But, we did get our family vacation in for the summer, and now we have little trips planned.

We spent a week in Orlando at our new-to-us timeshare.  We got it for a steal, so we didn't mind going.  We flew out on 6/3 at 6:30 am and landed at 3:30pm.  A long day for sure - with nothing to eat.  We were all a bit hungry, crabby and tired.  We got to our timeshare, checked in and checked out of consciousness!  We then spent the next 5 days at the various Disney parks.  The first day and a half was spend sweating to death!  On Monday, it was 96* with a ton of humidity - it was the hottest day of the year there so far.  Yay me!  Tuesday thru Saturday we had rain at some point in the day.  Light rain, heavy rain, torrential rain - we had it all.  But we managed to make it thru the parks as dry as we could be and have some fun.  Next year we won't go back for all 5 days to the parks, but we will actually relax on vacation a bit!  We flew back home to sunny and not-so-hot Cali on 6/10.  We left Orlando at 6:30am and landed at 8am.  Another crazy long day, but glad to be home!  This last week was spend cleaning, organizing and trying to decrapify my house.  Still getting the decrapification process completed.  But it's a good feeling to get rid of the junk we don't really need!

Thursday I was blessed with jury duty.  I was actually supposed to go tomorrow, but I didn't want to!  I hate jury duty.  I should respect the process, but I don't.  I hate sitting there waiting all day doing nothing.  Thursday was a light jury pool day, so we all were pulled for a case.  Of course, it started at 9:30 with the judge giving us his speech and then dismissing the people who were lucky enough to be able to leave by 10.  The rest of us had to wait, fill out a survey and then wait some more.  The courtroom we were going to was in the process of being used by a case that was finishing up, so we had to wait.  We were released for lunch at 11:30 and told to be back by 1:30.  Then we had to wait til 3:30 before anything happened.  We finally got to the courtroom at 3:30 and started the questioning by the judge.  I was not happy with the case (nasty, nasty case) and I let the judge know that I could not keep an open mind.  There were a few others who felt the same way, but I was "yelled" at by the judge for my inability to keep an open mind.  I guess having a hubby for a lawyer doesn't help me there!  The judge decided to recess for the night, but not before he released 5 people - luckily I was one of those people!  The other poor people had to be back on Friday.  I was never so happy to be out of there and not have to sit on the jury.  I would have been kicked off eventually, as they took special care to tell us to mark on our survey if we were mandated reporters.  Hubby said the defense attny would not want a teacher on this case anyway...so, my civic duty is done for the year and I can enjoy the rest of my vacation!

I have ***finally*** started reading The Daily 5.  I want to implement it, but I am having trouble wrapping my mind around it fitting into my schedule.  I have 90 minutes in the morning before recess, but part of that time (20 - 30 mins) is my daily opening time.  I do my calendar, poem, read aloud, etc. during that time.  After the 90 minutes, we have recess, then we have focus time, where my kids are spread out between ELD and intervention and I am lucky if I have half my kids at that time.  Then there is 30 minutes before lunch for writing instruction.  After lunch is math for a little over an hour and then the afternoon leaves time (3 days a week anyway) for science or social studies or art or....Get the picture?  And I am trying to figure out how to get the Houghton Mifflin stuff in there, as it is an updated program and our district is going to be making sure we implement the new parts.  Good times!  So, how does it all fit in?  I love the concept, but I am having trouble fitting it in to my brain!  Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

I have gotten the urge to start planning for next year.  I left with things scattered about, half done and a box that needs to be put away and it's starting to bug me!  I'm going to go in this week for a bit tomorrow and Tuesday and hopefully that will help me relax a bit.  I have lots of ideas, but getting them done is another thing.  Maybe by the end of the week I will have something to share with you all!

Happy Sunday!  Here's to a great week of vacation, playing in the pool and finally finishing the book I have been working on!

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to share with you how I made Daily 5 work for me. It looks like you may have less time, so you could do 3 rounds of the Daily 5 stations a day instead of 4.

    I started Daily 5 in March with my first graders. We have a basal and our district expects us to be "true to the core". We have a 90 minute reading block and a 30 minute intervention/extension time for a total of 120 minutes. Here's what it looked like in my room before Daily 5:
    30-40 minute whole group instruction (including students reading the weekly story and completing a comprehension activity)
    80-90 minutes of small group instruction and "stations". Each of my stations had 3 activities connected to the weekly story, decodables, phonics skills, spelling words, or grammar skills. I pulled small leveled groups during this time. For a few weeks, 30 minutes at the end of this block was used for leveled intervention - we divided kids up and they switched classrooms based on their level

    After I started Daily 5, it looked more like this:
    10 minute mini lesson and review of D5 expectations
    15 minutes at assigned station (yes, I assigned the groups. I had too many behavior problems to let them pick their own.)
    10 minute mini lesson and review of D5 expectations
    15 minutes at assigned station
    10 minute mini lesson and review of D5 expectations
    15 minutes at assigned station
    10 minute mini lesson and review of D5 expectations
    15 minutes at assigned station
    20 minutes whole group wrap up and reading of weekly story

    I divided my students into 4 leveled reading groups. They had to skip a D5 station to see me for their group. I rotated the order that they went to the stations each day so they wouldn't miss the same station every day for small reading group. I used the components of the basal to teach my mini lessons. I used the words and skills from the basal for the kids to do activities at the D5 stations. At Listen to Reading, they listened to our weekly story first and completed a retell. They could then listen to previous basal stories. I only did Read to Someone on Thursdays and Fridays during the whole group time where we read the weekly story. Since my Work on Writing station was located near my library, I let the first group to go to that station each day "Shop for Books" before starting their writing.

    My students absolutely LOVED Read to Self. I allowed it to be a "When I'm Done" activity at other parts of the day.

    Jessica
    My Different Worlds

    ReplyDelete