4.09.2012

A good day is always nice

Today was a good day! My kids were on! They were perfect for the most part. A great way to start the week. We got a lot done, even though it doesn't look like it.

We started our stories today. I think some of my kids are going to write some awesome books. I have a pretty good group of writers, or as good as first grade can get. We did our pressuring today and some have some good, unique ideas. I can't wait to see what they come up with. Normally,when my kids are working on their sloppy copies, I don't let them ask me a million questions. But for their books, they are able to ask. A couple of my perfectly perfects asked me today what was the better way to write their opening sentences. Love it! It shows me they are thinking about their work and want to do their best. If I remember, I I'll share what we get when they are all done!

It was a bit awkward today with me and the teacher who won Teacher of the Year. She was almost condescending about it, then tried to brush it off like it wasn't a big deal. She told me she told everyone to vote for me, so she doesn't know why she didn't win. It was worse than getting the email on Friday saying she won. Just be happy you won and quit being a bitch about it!

There are 6 more Monday's of school. Scary! We have a lot to do, but I want to have some fun with my kids. I am going to be selective with my reading program for the rest of the year and just do what I want. There are some stories I don't like, so I may just skip them! No one will know or care. I figure the skills being covered aren't first grade standards, so it's OK. Plus, after May 4th, our benchmark testing is done, so teaching isn't as important. Sad, huh? I will still be teaching, so it's OK. Others? Not so much! For the rest of the year, we will be learning about plants and having some fun with that. It's my favorite unit! Then we will do something fun (and to be determined! Suggestions?????) for the last 2 weeks of school.

Well, I should be doing something constructive right now. Time to get laundry done, or read or go to bed early, though I am surprisingly not tired. Sleeping like crap must finally agree with me! Tomorrow will be the day I hear something from my dr, so I am a bit stressed, but trying not to think about it! Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Kristen.
    I am a teacher in a school where my co worker is almost a Saint and she won teacher of the year. It is so super exciting. I know your co worker is less than a Saint so I just want you to know that I don't even know you and think from this wonderful blog that you are amazing. Teaching is more than the politics and hoops that nominees most go through. Its everything else you do and the everyday extensive thinking about how to be better and how to help make things better for the children's sake. I know a stranger can not make things better for you but I think you are your own teacher of the year!

    ReplyDelete