4.30.2012

Freebies for a Monday

Now that today is done, there are 3 more Mondays left in the school year!  Where did the time go?  There are 19 more mornings that I have to wake up with the alarm clock and be ready and presentable for children and other adults.  Yippee!  And 3 1/2 of those days, I don't have to be at work, but still have to be up and at 'em.

Today was a good day at school.  We got everything done and more that we needed to.  My kids were great.  2 kids were gone, but that's nothing new.  I knew one kid had missed a lot of school (today was #23), but the other one shocked me.  Today was days #22 being absent for her.  Dang!  It's not like we are at school every day of the year!  Why is it so hard for you to be at school?  I didn't miss 22 days when I was on maternity leave!  But, one kids will do 1st grade again next year and the other, well, I hope the 2nd grade teacher loves them!

We are working on plants.  I used to love this unit, but I haven't gotten into it this year.  I think the pressure of the end of the year is getting to me.  I feel like I have a million things to do and not enough time to get it all done.  And being sick sure didn't help that at all.  And now my daughter is sick, except she has thrown up 4 times today.  She threw up at dismissal time at school, then slept all afternoon at Daddy;s office, threw up in my truck after I picked her up to bring her home, then threw up a couple times tonight.  Poor baby!  She's pretty good about getting to the toilet and all, but she looks so devastated when  she's done.  After the last time, she went right to bed.  I worry since there is some nasty virus going on around here.  I guess it ends up with a fever for like 5 days that won't break.  Now I won't sleep tonight and I will have to check on her 10 times!  A mama never stops worrying!

Anyway, back to plants.  We are learning about plants, or pretending to learn about plants.  I used to go all out, but this year, I am done.  No sorting seeds or fun little projects.  Just do the work, label your plants and let's be done.  I have even resorted to do science during Focus time since there is no Focus again this week thanks to State Testing.  But, I made a little worksheet for my kids to do tomorrow.  They are all of a sudden into word searches, so this one's for them!  Nothing major, but something fun they will like to do.  We are going to plant on Thursday so the seeds will be sprouted by Open House...I hope!

Last week with our anthology, we read the story The Surprise Family.  The kids had to then fill in a venn diagram with the facts about chicks and ducks.  I was amazed at who could do them and who couldn't.  A big eye opener!  If you can use it, you can get the venn diagram activity here.  I plan to use these more starting at the beginning of the year so there aren't as many questions next time we do it!

I hope you can use the freebies.  I hope to post more as the days go on, but it all depends on how my baby girl is feeling.  She is sad she has to miss school, but she didn't seem to care about it tonight.  Here's to hoping for the bug to be gone for good and for my little love to be feeling better.  Happy Monday!

2 comments:

  1. YOU must start a lot earlier than we do --- we have 34 more days of school BUT we do not start until after Labor Day ---

    ReplyDelete
  2. We started August 10th this year and will start on Aug 13th for this coming year. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete