1.22.2012

I guess I just post on the weekends!

Wow!  I haven't posted since Tuesday, but there hasn't been a lot to post about.  The shortened week was a week from you know where.  My kids were good, but it was a weird, stressful week.  I am glad it's over!  I am almost ready for this next week...I just hope it's a little more calm and stress free than this last week! 

Tomorrow we will learn a little bit about Chinese New Year.  I have never done anything with it before, but this year I am going to do something with it.  I don't know why I decided to do this, but I gave myself the challenge to learn something new and do something different.  I hope I do it a little justice, since I know nothing about it, other than what I have found in my teacher books.  If I remember, I will take pics and show you all what we did.  If nothing else, it will be a fun filled late morning/afternoon for me and my kids! 

We have entered the world of long vowels.  Most of my kids understand the magic e and are doing well with it.  They "get it".  I have a couple that are still struggling and it makes me sad that they don't get the extra help at home with it.  But, if all kids got the help at home they needed, then we wouldn't have the heartaches we have.  Anyway, we are going to be doing long o and long u this week.  Long u is so hard as there aren't many true long u words.  So, I am going to focus on long o this week and just focus on the long u words that are in our program.  I made a word sortish thing to do whole group with my class.  I am hoping they start to really see the difference between long and short vowel words!  If you would like a copy, you may get it here!

We are reading one of my not-so-favorite stories this week.  We are reading The Sleeping Pig.  I like the story, but it isn't my fave.  I haven't got into it in the past, which I think would have helped.  Mind you, we have been using this series for 10 years now...I have my favorite stories and my not so favorite!  Only 6 more years til we get a new reading series!  Yeah, horrible.  Welcome to California.  Anyway, this week, we will do a sort between people words and animal words.  It should be easy enough.  If you would like a copy of this, you may get it here.   We will also focus on our story comprehension skill of the story structure.  I think the kids have this one down, but they don't always remember to do it when they are orally retelling a story (as required through the DRA testing).  I made this repurposed it from the TE book for my kids to do later this week.  It really goes along with the story, but it can be used for many stories.  If you would like this, you may get it here

In all our spare time this week, I hope we will talk about snowmen.  They are so fun and cute and not part of our everyday lives.  I found some cute art projects through Pinterest and blogging, but I don't know if I will have time for them all this week.  I basically have 2 days this week for snowmen stuff - not the ideal situation, but I will try to make the best of it!  Depending on what I decide for Friday, you may or may not see snowmen projects on Friday (or whenever I blog about it). 

Well, I am still trying to unwind from last week.  I hope that week does not repeat itself and I can get back into my regular routine.  It is supposed to rain tomorrow and then be in the 80's by the end of the week.  Can you say crazy?  And crazy in all sense of the word - crazy behavior, crazy weather and crazy allergies.  Yuck! 

I am off to go for a walk and talk to myself for the next 30 minutes.  Happy Sunday!   

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog...glad I did! I'm your newest follower!

    Kim
    Growing Up Teaching

    ReplyDelete