11.13.2011

Thanksgiving Freebies

I have 3 days this week to teach about Thanksgiving.  Really, I have 3 days to get in all the fun stuff we should be doing, but won't because we are worrying about standards and acountability.  We will get the social studies standards in one way or another and hopefully learn something along the way. 

Tonight I made some pages that we will work on in class.  They are more educational than fun, but I hope my kids think they are fun and that they get something out of them, too!  Don't worry, though.  I am not all work and no play!  My kids will do more than their share of craftivities for Christmastime!  They will be crafted out by then!  ;)

The first page is about Pilgrims.  We have already compared Pilgrims to ourselves and all the ways we are different and all the things that we have now that they didn't.  This one, the kids will fill in after we discuss what the Pilgrims could do, had and were.  It's a take on can/have/are, but since it's the past, I changed it!   

The second page is about Thanksgiving.  It's very similar to the top page, just what we can/have/are at Thanksgiving.  I want my kids to understand what we have Thanksgiving for and that it's more than just turkey! 

The last page is a writing page I will have them do on Thursday, I think, about what they are thankful for.  We will brainstorm ideas of all the things we are thankful for.  I really hope we can get past the xboxes and wii's and crap like that and get to the nitty gritty, like family, food, and free education! 

I am also planning to have the kids made a Thankful turkey.  I have to make the pattern and trace it and all that fun stuff, but that will be for tomorrow.  I will trace the body and then hopefully copy feathers onto different colored construction paper.  On each "feather", they will write one thing they are thankful for and glue it on.  I hope this will pass with my girl who is a jehovah's witness!?!?!  In all my years of teaching, I have never had a student in my class who doesn't celebrate the holidays.  Kinda makes me panic a little! 

Well, this is more or less the extent on my Thanksgiving fun and games.  I wanted to do so much more, but there just isn't time.  I could not teach reading or math this week, but I don't know if that would be my best option.  Happy Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment