11.06.2011

Scarecrows, corn and some rain

Wow!  Last week was a whirlwind!  Halloween, hot days, some actual real, live teaching and some rain.  Yep.  That was our week. 

We started the week with Pumpkin Day.  We did all sorts of pumpkin activities.  The kids had fin, they weren't too crazy and it was a nice to day to carve the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds. 

We spent the rest of the week learning a bit about corn.  And when I say a bit, I mean a bit.  Teaching about the "fun stuff" has ended up with teaching just enough that the kids had fun, they learned something and we still got the real important stuff done.  For our poem this week, we read a poem I wrote about a scarecrow.  I read some scarecrow stories after lunch as well and we talked about what scarecrows do for farmers.  On Friday, we did a 2 part, all day project.  It was so much fun and they turned out so darn cute!  Take a peek for yourself! 
 First, we water colored the background with the fields and the sky.  Oh my word.  My kids were silent when they were painting.  All I could hear was the breathing.  I need to paint more often! 
I gave them a choice of some scrapbook paper for the shirts, then we made the pants, the hat and the head and put them all together.  Here is our wall of scarecrows.  No birds are getting into our room!





I love that each one is different and they all have very similar personalities to the kids who made them!

We also learned a bit about corn.  We talked about Indian Corn and how the kernals are different colored.  So, we made our own Indian Corn to hang up for the next 2 weeks. 


I hung them on the window, some facing in and some facing out.  Now that people walk by my room, I feel obligated to have something on the window, even though the fire marshall says no, no!

We have been working all year long on the personal narrative.  Here is the last step in the process.  I made the chart and hope the kids will follow it. 


This last week and this week, we have been enjoying the stories by Karma Wilson.  I absolutely love the Bear books.  I have some at school and some at home that I have taken to school for the weeks.  We are making a mini author study chart to use with the stories.  I hope the kids get something from it, but at least we are having fun with the stories.  I have noted in my yearly plan to use these with Seasonsnext year since they will tie in nicely. 


As I mentioned, we had some rain Friday.  It rained all day at school, which is fine, but the kids were a bit wild from it.  It was 90 earlier in the week, so I don't know why they are nutty when it's only 54.  Hmmm.  Here is a view outside the classroom and in the parking lot to show what it looks like on a CA rainy day!  Enjoy!

 This is looking out my window to the East.  Not the best view, but on a clear day, I can see the top of the mountains out east.  Could be worse!
This is looking toward the east.  The clouds were mean looking, but it had stopped raining by this time.  It was already after 5pm, and the sun was setting.  No more staying late now since it will get darker so much earlier.  The only downfall to Daylight Savings ending is the dark at 4:30 thing.  Yuck!

On tap for this week...not really sure.  We are finishing up some stuff and will venture into Thanksgiving learning I think.  We have a 3 day week this week, then 5 days next week and then we are off for the week.  November is a very busy month, but there are lots of times to rest, as well.  If I get rambunctious and make something blog-worthy, I will post it for anyone reading who would like a freebie.  I am tired of seeing all the cute stuff that costs money.  Time to put my not-so-creative mind to work!  Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. Love the corn! Don't you just wish that fire marshal would just turn his head and pretend he didn't see a thing!

    First Grade Delight

    ReplyDelete