10.30.2011

Report Card time again

Well, it's that time of year - report cards.  We have completed 12 weeks.  12 weeks!  Where did the time go?  Report cards will go homeon Friday.  I have been sitting in front of the computer all afternoon working on them.  And they are almost done.  I have a couple things to fill in, but otherwise they are complete and ready to be printed! 

I don't know about you, but my report cards don't tell the parents anything.  They are really a waste of paper and time.  We would like to make changes, but they tell us it would cost too much money to have the company fix them.  And with the Common Core Standards coming into play soon, they will change them when it's time for those, but no sooner.  So, we do crappy report cards that mean very little and then I write a small novel in the comment section. 

Now that report cards are done, it is conference time.  I am envious of those of you that have time for them during the school day.  We are given next Thursday as a teacher work day to do conferences.  The next day is a holiday, so no one wants to stick around town.  I plan on doing mine over the next few days after school and hopefully will meet with most parents before the teacher work day.  I want to use my work day to work in my room and get my mind wrapped around what I am doing. 

Speaking of wrapping my head around what we are doing...I started my science unit on weather, but it has been a bust.  There are 3 days left in my plans to do weather, and I have about 4 weeks worth of teaching/learning to do.  I am thinking of putting it on hold and revisiting it in January, when we may have weather.  Sounds crazy?  Stupid?  Unplanned? I think I would rather spend the next couple of weeks doing something educationally fun with corn/scarecrows/thanksgiving.  I'm gonna do it...throw caution to the wind and just plan it.  This isn't my best year in my mind, so why not keep it up, give me something to work on and do something fun for a change that the kids might be able to learn from. 

With that in mind, I should start working on it and getting my butt in gear.  Tomorrow is Pumpkin Day and then Tuesday will be November.  We will have exactly 12 days of school between Halloween and Thanksgiving to get it all in and learn something!  Yikes!  Happy Sunday!

6 comments:

  1. I hate our report cards. The parents don't understand anything on them so I feel like I spend a lot of time during conference just explaining what the report cards mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about those students who have low performance grades in their report cards?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed reading that post. Continue with the good work
    Cheap Dissertation Writing Services

    ReplyDelete
  4. liked everything very much) keep it up and dont stop)
    Airport transfers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just discovered your blog and it has already been helpful. I certainly will come back, again and again.Driving Test

    ReplyDelete