8.28.2011

New week, new attitude

So let me tell ya...last week sucked.  Just the whole week in general was icky.  And hot.  And sweaty.  It just ended badly all around.  But, today is the beginning of a new week and I am going to do my darndest to make it a good week! 

I am really hoping my A/C is fixed.  It worked all day Friday with me NOT in the room, so I hope it works all day tomorrow with me IN the room.  It is way too hard to teach effectively without all the tools we have grown to love.  Like my ELMO.  And my own clean board.  And a room that is bright and cheery, not all stark white and dirty.  Anyway, my kids were really good with the change, but I felt like I was babysitting them.  My fault as I wasn't as engaged as I normally am, but I was very upset with my room situation and I didn't have 95% of what I needed to teach.  I moved my stuff back to my room, but I haven't unpacked it yet.  I am still waiting for them to tell me tomorrow that I have to move.  The room I am in has had problems for years, yet they never fix the big problem (needing a new unit), rather they fix the little problem and hope it goes away.  And then a week later, something else goes wrong and they are back to fix it again.  But, this is what happens when people try to save a buck - they end up spending more in the long run than they would have if they did it right the first time. 

Anyway, I really like my class.  We are moving along in every subject, but it stills feels like I am stuck.  I think my writing time is what is making me feel that way, but I don't know how to change it.  I need to look into it and see what I can do differently.  I think I have been going over the same thing for too long; now I just need to get in there and make something happen.  So, after we take our benchmark tests this week, I will do just that - jump into writing and see what happens! 

I am hoping this week to make ice cream with my kids.  Seems easy enough.  We are studying matter (ugh, it's boring) and I want to show kids different things.  Last Friday, we turned frozed ice cream into a liquid and drank it.  This week I want to make the ice cream and show them how it goes from a liquid to a (semi) solid.  Next week we are going to talk about mixtures, so I hope to bring in some Jello as well as goodies to make a big trail mix for them.  We'll see how it goes.  And we'll see if I remember to take pics - I have my camera with me, but I forget to use it! 

We are also working on short a word families this week.  A lot of the kids get it, but they still struggle with what they are in the same family.  So, I made this little word sort that we will do whole group sometime this week.  I will glue the families to paper and then the kids can glue the words on where they go.  Hopefully they will see that the letters are the same and that they all make the same sound.  Seems so simple, but...Here is the word sort words we will be using.  Enjoy!

Well, this was also a bad week (for me anyway) with my weight watchers weight loss.  Today was my 4th weigh in.  For the last 3, I had lost at least 2 pounds.  But this last week, it was so hot, we didn't do our walks, I ate more crap than I should have and it showed.  I lost .6 pounds.  It didn't bother me til I got home and started to think about it.  Hubby said it's still losing, but it seems like nothing.  I have to get back on track this week and make it up.  I am down 7.2 pounds all together, but I am waiting for those bigger numbers so I can see more of a loss.  I am still in the same size clothes, but now they are big.  I can't wait to go down a size, but it seems like it may never come!  But I am trying and that's what counts. 

Time to go get dinner started.  Thinking a whole wheat pasta dish with zucchini, eggplant and a bit of sauce and cheese sounds good tonight.  I can't wait for fall when it's cool enough to make a nice soup or something else equally as yummy! 

Happy Sunday!

3 comments:

  1. Our AC at home went out last week and it was miserable! Glad yours is bag in action. =)

    gingersnapstreatsforteachers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a middle school teacher, I have no advice for you with those little ones. Hats off to you.

    As for the heat, are those actual temperatures or temperatures with the heat index or what? Coming from the south, I understand the heat. We have all that humidity here. You could die.

    As for Weight Watchers, you are doing it. Don't get discouraged. It may not be the numbers you want to see, but at least its dropping from the original number--which is what you always want to see! That number is getting lower all the time!

    Celebrate every last little thing! We do it for our kids to get positive results now do it for yourself!

    Eggplant purple is my favorite color ever! It is one of the most beautiful colors mother nature can offer. I can lost in its color and have even brought one to school to see if the kids every notice it hanging out in the window. They always do!

    Hugs and support from the south east ALWAYS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 111 was the real temp! We had some humidity, but I don't know what it was with the heat index. It just sucked, really. Today was only 106. They are saying we will be in the 90's later this week. I can handle that. I don't like walking outside and not being able to breathe...that just sucks!

    As for WW, I was discouraged earlier today, had a little pity party for myself and then decided I needed to get out of this funk. We went for our mile walk tonight, so I am feeling better. Last week I was lazy with the heat, being bitchy and all, but this week, not gonna do it!

    Thanks Underground for having my back, even if you are on the other side of the country! :)

    ReplyDelete