8.30.2011

Ch..ch..ch..changes

Tomorrow begins our first day with our new kids.  Mine seem very sweet and eager to learn.  They were all at the school in Kindergarten, so they know most of the kids in my class.  We got their books and materials from the other teacher, so they are ready to go.  I am ready to go and get working on learning now that the change has taken place and I have my kids set! 

I am trying to be real go-with-the-flow about things.  I wish others would, too.  2 of the other teachers are in pure b!tch mode about it.  They are upset that the kids are low, and EL and a slight behavior problem.  It's not like we get to pick the kids we get - EVER!  We had the chance to take the combo class, but no one did, so it went to the teacher with the least seniority.  And as it worked out, she is getting 7 high 1st graders and 11 high kinders.  Which makes the others freak out that they have the lows.  WHATEVER. 

In the schools I have taught at, which are all Title 1 schools, high EL population schools, etc, the majority of the kids come in below grade level.  It is our job as a teacher to work with them and get them as far as they can go.  It would be nice if they were at grade level, but it isnt the norm, however sad that may be.  It used to bother me, but after a couple years teaching, I realized how far behind these kids were when they entered Kinder and how much progress they had made in the one year.  So now, I know that they have worked hard to get where they are and it's my job to get them as far as they can go this year.  Unfortuantely, others don't believe this and think that they can bitch and moan when the kids they get are not at grade level.  Well, they went as far as they could go last year! 

But, on that same not, it's really sad to me this year that our EL's are so much lower than they have been in the past.  The last couple years, they have been higher than the EO's.  But this year, they aren't.  And I am not sure why that is the case.  It makes me sad to see the kids so far behind, knowing they have so much more to learn than some of the others.  I do have a couple of really high EL's, but most aren't so lucky. 

So tomorrow, I will embrace my new kids.  I will continue teaching what we have been doing, even though they have already done it, since the teacher doesn't care what the pacing guide says and does her own thing anyway.  Um, that's why we have a pacing guide, but I guess that is a post for another day!  I look forward to working with my new kids and seeing how far they can go! 

Happy Tuesday!

Oh, and hubby just booked a mini trip for the weekend.  Santa Barbara here we come...by train!  Yippee!

2 comments:

  1. Why did your whole class change like that? Sounds like you have a pretty good attitude about things! :) oooo.. and have fun in Santa Barbara - it's one of our favorite places to go!

    Jenn @ The Kinder Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your perspective! I wish your colleagues had a better attitude, though! Hopefully they'll come around.... And have fun in Santa Barbara! :)

    ReplyDelete