6.21.2011

What do we really need to keep?

I have spent part of my morning cleaning the office.  It doesn't look like it yet, but it's getting there.  As I was looking through all the stuff that I have, I started to wonder "What do I really need to keep?"  I have a hard time throwing some things away, while other things are a no brainer.  Here are my things so far that I have had to decide whether to toss or keep.

1) The things my daughter has done in 3 years of preschool.  I don't want to be the parent that keeps every little thing, but I don't want to be the parent to throw it all away.  So, I compromised with myself and I have kept her really cute art projects that she has done.  Each year is in a box, neatly stored away and labeled.  The regular everyday school work and papers went in the trash.  Brought a little tear to my eyes, but I can't keep it all. 

2) Notebooks.  I am a notebook collector.  I don't know why, but I am.  I need to NOT buy any more notebooks, spiral or otherwise for many years.  I used to buy the small, cute ones, but then wouldn't use them.  Then I started to buy the regular spiral notebooks.  I have a stack of them and need to do something with them.  But then I think I will need them for something else and then not use them.  Why?  I have no idea.  I must have been deprived as a child or something.  And, I can't pass them up when they are only 15 cents in July!

3) Pictures.  I have oodles and oodles of pictures from many years ago.  Most of the pics I have kept are from college.  And they are mostly all from my freshman year when the snow was new and neat and pretty and I felt I needed to take a picture of every day that had snow and what it looked like from my dorm window.  Man, I was a nerd.  I have pictures of my pets from back home and then, for whatever reason, I have pictures of the Grand Canyon.  Every time I went in school, I took pictures.  I'm not in them, I don't know what they are, other than dirt and rocks.  So, they went away.  Pics of people from college I didn't talk to after a year or 2?  Gone.  Vacation pics without me in them and not knowing where they are?  Gone, too. 

I still have a ways to go on the office, but it's getting there.  I ended up, not really knowing or paying attention, bringing home 3, yes 3 boxes of school stuff.  Haven't really touched it, don't know what I was thinking.  Well, I know I was thinking I was going to plan all these wonderful activities and games and such and well, I haven't.  And I don't wanna right now.  So, it will sit and collect dust in the office when there is enough room made to bring it all in. 

It's amazing how much junk we can collect and yet feel the need to keep it all.  Huh.  No wonder my cabinets at school have crap I don't use, either.  Time to really start the decrapifying process and get it into high gear.  It's starting...where will it stop! 

Happy Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. My girls are 7 and 4 and I struggle with what to keep as well. Recently I went through all the stuff we've kept for the 7 year old and carefully picked the stuff I most valued. Then I took pictures of the rest and got rid of it. It's so easy to have pictures of things now I feel better about getting rid of stuff.

    Good luck with decrapifying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard others taking pictures to save those, but I have over 2,000 pictures on memory sticks that haven't been printed. I know if I were to print them, it would be overwhelming and expensive. I may have to change plans next year when she is in Kiinder - I can't save it all and she hates to throw anything away, too! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. only 3 boxes?!? I think I am at 3 boxes and a FEW bags (I AM a bag lady)...i wont touch 'em til JULY at least...then little by little I will cuz I LOVE to be creative...especially when I am not being pulled in all dsirections like at shcool and KNOW that it will all stay NICE for a month or 2 til I bring it to shcool...LOL

    ReplyDelete