6.28.2011

New book find

We have a used bookstore in town.  I have been there twice in last week, looking for one or 2 things only to walk away with some new-to-me books and less cash! 

Last week, I went and bought 3 of the 4 books in the Nora Roberts bride quartet (they didn't have book 3).  I went looking for it today and they were all out of all the others.  I was bummed, since I am almost done with book 2 and wanted to start with number 3.  Instead, I bought 2 books by Anita Shreve.  She's a little odd to me, but I like her books once I get into them.  I have read Snow on Light and Wedding in December.  We'll see how these other 2 are.  I went to the local library and browsed through their "Friends of the Library" section and found the 3rd book.  My reading is set through the weekend! 

When I was at the used bookstore,  I went to the kiddie section.  Mind you, this bookstore is a ton of books shoved every which way.  What could be an organized place is just a disaster of books thrown wherever there is room.  The store is too small for the amount of books they have and they only seem to get more books and less room.  Anyway, most of the kids' books they have are for older students or they are so old they aren't exciting.  I found a couple of books for my library, a couplke ABC books for the beginning of the year.  I had decided I did pretty good, until I found a Mo Willems book on the floor.  In perfect condition.  Score!  I can't find them anywhere.  I grabbed it up and left. 

Once I got in the car and was waiting to meet a friend for breakfast, I read through some of the books.  One of them was The Alphabet Tree by Leo Lionni.  I love Leo Lionni.
Oh my word.  This is one of the best books in the world.  Not only does it tell the story of letters clinging to a tree for dear life, it tells of how the bee tells them to stick together in words.  The letters make words and later, a caterpillar tells them they are more powerful when put together in sentences.  Then, at the end, the letters come together to make a sentence about peace (it was written in 1968) and the sentence is going with the caterpillar to talk to the president.  I got a little teary eyed at the end.  A very good book. 

Now, I am going to come up with a cute lesson to go with the book.  I haven't decided how or what I am going to do, but there are lots of ideas in my head.  Or, there would be if I had energy.  A night of not sleeping plus an early morning out does not make for a happy momma!  But, a little nap seems to have helped a bit, so...stay tuned!

Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great book!

    Waaaaay back when I was student teaching with 1st graders, I did a lesson on this concept. How awesome it would have been to have that book! We made mini-posters to show letters, then short words and then simple sentences. It really clicked with the kiddos who were struggling with that concept after a long summer. :) I would have LOVED to have a book like this to really reinforce it. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the Leo Lionni book review! I will have to get that book!

    ReplyDelete