4.03.2011

Vacation is now over...

Well, my short spring break has come to an end.  It went very quickly, faster than I would have liked.  But I did get some things done that I needed/wanted to get done, while other things are still on my to-do list.  But, we only have 39 days of school left before we are on summer vacation for 2 months.  I can't wait! 

This week, I was able to get most of the weeds out of the flower beds.  Mind you, there are weeds throughout the rest of the yard, but they are the responsibility of the hubby!  He gets to ride around on the tractor, pulling weeds!  It was nice to be able to work outside in the warm sun(OK, hot sun - it was 95 on Thursday and Friday, but was only 73 yesterday) and enjoy the spring day.  I am glad I wasn't at work when it was nice, but know the weather will only be getting nicer as the weeks go on, and then it will be downright hot soon enough!  I got my house mostly clean, which is something I need to work on.  But, it's hard with a 4 year old and a hubby who doesn't care about the house.  So, I guess I will just live with it the way it is. 

I did get some school work done, but not as much as I had planned.  I may do some more later on today, or I may not.  I figure tomorrow will be here soon enough and I will have to be back "on".  I did spend the large part of a few evenings doing homework for my class.  But I am still not done.  It's taking me longer than I had hoped.  I took my daughter to story time on Friday at the library and was able to read through a book for another class I am taking.  It's all about mapping out the school year in all areas.  I already do this to a degree, so it's not going to be hard, just time consuming.  I will be able to do it better when I can start fully thinking of next year.  As I was reading the book, it made me a little sad.  The book talks all about planning as a grade level or team.  I would love to do that with my team, but we can't even agree to be on the same topic in math.  It just makes me sad that we aren't a team.  And that thought makes me not want to go back to work at all.  Sad, I know. 

But, there are 8 weeks of school left.  8 weeks to get my kids ready for second grade.  8 weeks to cover all the remaining standards and hope they get it.  8 weeks to have a little fun, while doing some fun projects.  I realize I am so hell bent on them learning and working that we don't take as much time for fun as we should.  So, I will be changing that for the last 2 months of school.  I'm going to let my kids have some fun, while I really work with the kids who are struggling.  And even then, some of the strugglers will be retained and will hopefully embrace the opportunity next year to fully learn, mature a bit over the summer and be really good students next year. 

In these last 8 weeks of school, we have lots of testing, lots of writing and lots of meetings.  We will have to test our kids on their reading and math so we can have semi-accurate scores for their pinks and blues, plus we have to test for progress reports and report cards.  I have to have my kids writing more and using the elusive adjectives in their writing.  I am going to take a step backwards and cover adjectives again, so hopefully they get it this time. 

Just putting this all in writing is scary.  There is so much to do and not much time to do it in.  Yikes!  I guess it's time to panic and hope my kids are ready.  Does anyone else worry about their kids moving on?  I know deep down my kids are ready, but I also know that the 2nd grade team expects them to know more than they are supposed to in 1st grade.  They want them coming in all at grade level knowing how to do it all.  That would be wonderful, but it isn't realistic.  I beat myself up about where my kids are all the time, but I then I have to look back at where they came from and realize they have worked really hard to get there (most of them anyway...some are still working on the beginning of the year standards) and have made excellent progress.  It's just disheartening to hear that the 2nd grade teachers want us to teach them XYand Z when it isn't our standards and they want them to do AB and C when it isn't our standards.  I wish we could tell that to Kinder, then!

Well, it's time for me to start my day.  I am sure today will go by very quickly since tomorrow is back to work.  It'll be a busy 7 weeks preparing for end of the year and open house.  Yep - we have open house 6 days before school is out.  Jealous, huh?

Happy Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment