3.02.2011

Seriously

I deleted the post I wrote earlier after getting a very mean comment. I guess we are all entitled to our opinions, but some people don't like it when others express their opinions that are negative. This is my blog. These are my thoughts. I don't live in a fairytale land where everything is fine and dandy. I am very happy for those people who do live in Lalaland where things are all peachy keen. I live in reality where life for many kids sucks. I live in reality where many kids won't make it no matter how much time, effort, love and care I give them. And it freakin' sucks. And I only have so much time to give each day without taking away from my daughter.

I was told that I must not love teaching and that hopefully my next career will be better for me. All I have to say is "BITE ME!". I love teaching with all my heart. Am I negative? Yep. But after 13 years of being crapped on by administrators, the state, parents and more, I get defensive. This is my chance to vent my frustrations without taking it out on my students. This is my chance to get rid of some of the stress from the day without my poor husband having to put up with it.

There is nothing more I would want to do in life. I laugh when people say that if they could, they would be a stay at home mom. I wouldn't. I love my daughter dearly, but my calling in life is to be a teacher. I am damn good at my job, but there are times I feel I am lacking. And when I want to vent, I get told that I am not a good teacher. First off, you don't know me. You don't know my school, my kids, or anything about me. To say I am not a good teacher would be like telling you that you are not a good parent, or sister, or teacher. It would hurt even though you don't know me. Second, you are not in my shoes. Yea, you may be a teacher. You may have similar kids. But you are not in my shoes. I would not tell you how to feel about your kids, don't tell me how to feel about mine.

If you don't like what I have to say, don't read my blog. I don't really care. This is more for me. It's my outlet. If you think I am a horrible person, then take me off your blogroll, don't read my blog and for heaven's sake, don't download anything else I make out of the kindness of my heart.

To me, blogland seems to be a bunch of people posting how great and wonderful they are and no one is sharing their true feelings. There are a few blogs out there where the teachers are truly wanting to share their ideas and frustractions. Unfortunately, one of the has already resigned. And I wonder what you all said about her and all her frustrations. Well, Uunderground Teacher, you are missed. I miss your honest accounts of the kids and how things are out in the real world. I wish there were more teachers like that who aren't afraid to share what it's like. But, if we continue to pretend that things are all great and happy all the time, it's no wonder government is OK with cutting our pay, cutting our budgets and letting people go.

I live in the real world and I teach in the real world. And unfortunately, sometimes, it's an ugly, cruel reality that the kids live in. It isn't pretty, it isn't fun and it sucks for all involved. Again, if you don't like what I have to say, then don't read my blog. It won't hurt my feelings. In fact, I may just keep reading your and send little rays of sunshine your way. Or, I'll skip you.

4 comments:

  1. I'm saddened by the thought that you felt like you had to delete your post as a result of a mean comment...please continue to write as you do now. I love reading your blog...and as weird as it seems...I take comfort in knowing that I am not the only one that struggles, that we all have our ups and downs, and that it's part of growing professionally...we need to support each other as teachers, as individuals trying to make a difference....now more than ever.

    Oh...and I've been loving your creations btw...thank you!

    -Gladys
    Once Upon a Time in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gladys. I was told that I shouldn't be a teacher and that I was very negative to my kids. Looking at it, I wasn't the most positive, but in was the truth. It's sad when you know that there are students who won't succeed with all we do, no matter how hard we try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Were you in my head??? I could NOT have said it any better!
    I LOVE my kids I teach, even though I have a very rough group and they have caused me MUCH frustration this year and even to question if I am a good teacher!
    People who do not teach in REALITY don't understand that we do not get students PERFECT! They come with their own baggage and we have to work with it no matter HOW HEAVY its is.
    PLEASE keep doing what you are. I enjoy your BLOG and you ideas!
    I LOVE being home with My own kids in the summer and on breaks but they as much as I, need a break from ME. I AM ME 1st! I wanted to be a teacher for as long as I can remember...I couldn't be a stay-at-home mom either! Me IS a mom but is also teacher, friend, etc...
    AMEN to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, it makes me sad that you feel like you needed to delete your post because of someone's stupid comments. You only have to answer to yourself, not to anyone else. I hope you continue writing as you do! Even though we teach in totally different worlds in terms of grade levels, I enjoy reading your honest accounts of what's happening (good and bad). It's refreshing.


    And I'm totally with you. I would NEVER make a good stay-at-home mom. I love my kids with all my heart but I would be bored to tears if I didn't have something else I could be passionate about and for me that is teaching. I don't care what anyone else thinks about that -- it's my life and that's the way it is!

    Keep doing what you're doing and pppphtttt to the naysayers!

    ReplyDelete