2.11.2011

Thank goodness for the end of a long week!

This week was long. Really long. It was a normal 5 day week, but it sort of dragged on and on. But, it's over and it ended on a great day. But I will never complain when the weekend is here!

Monday and Tuesday were rough days. We had to give the benchmark test. My kids did pretty well on it, but there is a cluster of kids (6 out of 20) who just aren't getting it. I feel like a crappy teacher, but I know deep down I am not. I have these 6 kids who don't get the help at home. They don't have the drive to want to learn and be succesful. It's sad to me, but I don't know what more to do. They get extra time with me in class, at recess and at lunch, I have conferenced with their parents, set goals, the whole shebang. I would expect them to do better, but in the end, it's pretty disappointing. Especially when there were a couple teacher who I know were not as honest with their testing and have outrageously high marks. Mine were on par with the district, so I don't feel too bad, but the competitive part of me wants to be higher! After getting through Monday and Tuesday, I have come to the realization that I need to change things with my lower group and see what we can accomplish with change.

This week, we have been talking a bit about amphibians. I left it at frogs and toads since that is what our reading program has stories about. I had planned to do a directed drawing today, but I chose to do it yesterday (Thursday). My artistically challenged kids are getting it. I had some really cute red-eyed tree frogs. There were a few who were way off, but overall, they were cute. And then they had to write about them. I felt yesterday that my kids were finally getting "it" with what we were doing. Yay, them! I don't have pictures, since I forgot my camera today and yesterday. Oops!

Today, since we did our frog project yesterday, I had time to kill in the morning. We spent the morning drawing giraffes from the story Giraffes Can't Dance. I am not the super artistic person, but I have to say they were cute. They are up and ready to greet us on Monday. We also made frogs from toilet paper rolls. I have been collecting for months now, so I was happy to put them to good use. The kids thought it was hilarious to use a TP roll, but they quickly got to work making their frogs.

Next week, we will leave the world of animals and venture into discussing the dead presidents. We don't have much time, so I need to make the most of what I have. I think we will do a directed drawing next Thursday (the day before a 4 day weekend!!!!) of Lincoln and some other pages and read some books and call it a year with him. Just not enough time to get it all in!

Time to get some dinner and veg on the couch for the night. TGIF!

1 comment:

  1. In regards to your colleagues who bloat their test scores...don't think that won't come back and bite them in the end. I've seen it many times in the upper grades when we're going "wait, HOW was this child allegedly excelling in [whatever standard] but suddenly 2 years later, appears to have never even HEARD OF [whatever standard]?!"

    We've had teachers transferred to less desirable grades (for them) because of that. They get shifted around and then are watched like hawks because eventually, the truth will come out. If you aren't bloating your scores but are taking a hard look at them so you can implement change, THAT is what makes you a good teacher -- not that your scores are higher, but what you plan to do with the scores that aren't.

    ReplyDelete