11.22.2010

Field Trips

Yesterday, I spent the rainy day at Legoland with my hubby and daughter. It was a perfect day with no lines, no waiting and really, no rain! Couldn't have asked for a better day. As we were walking through the aquarium, my hubby read something that said it was perfect for school field trips. He told me I should bring my kids there. Then I laughed for a good 10 minutes and he looked at me like I had lost my mind.

Here's the deal. We can't do field trips without a lot of begging and pleading. For one, the bus would cost me my first born child. It's outrageous what they charge for the bus. Two, we have to fill out moutains and moutains of paperwork, put every standard that could relate to the trip and write a thesis as to why we feel that this tris is beneficial to the kids. Three, we have to have all the parent volunteers cleared, with their badges (and fingerprints, and TB tests)and agreeing to go months before the actual trip. Um, I don't know what I am doing next weekend, much less in 3 months! Four, we were given $200 bucks a class to cover field trips. I guess we could hitch hike somewhere and then hop the gates to get it! You can't go many places in So Cal for $10 a kid. The bus costs about that much alone! Five, the parents don't have money to pay for their kids to have new shoes, much less go on a field trip. And six, I don't want to spend all day corraling my kids somewhere and hope that I don't leave one stranded at whatever place we are at. I have never done that and don't plan on doing it!

We are talking about bringing something in for a field trip, but they go for about $1,000. I thing sometimes I got into the wrong field. I should travel around and do field trips for $1,000 a day. I'd only have to work 3 days a month to make what I make now! Wow! What an idea. Maybe when I retire and can do something like that for spending money!

I hope when my daughter goes to school next year she gets a field trip. My kids are asking me if we are going somewhere and I told them no. We may be able to go to the grocery store or something lame like that, but otherwise, we are staying "home" and learning that way. Kinda sucks, but that's what life is like in lovely CA!

No comments:

Post a Comment