10.10.2010

Teach: Tony Danza

This afternoon, while folding laundry, cleaning house and finishing lesson plans, I watched the show "Teach: Tony Danza". Tony Danza is teaching in Philadelphia in an English class. I don't know if it's just one class or what, but the students they are following are in one classroom. My understanding is that he graduated college years ago with the idea of becoming a teacher, but then went into boxing and theater. I grew up watching him on "Who's the Boss?", but that's my only knowledge of him.

The show begins on his first day of school with his 10th graders. He's nervous about the first day of school, understandably. He tells his montor/instructional coach that he's going to give the kids an assignment and not talk, but then all he did was talk. I thought it was funny, but sweet. They show some run ins with administrators. I think one of them was a full on bitch! If she was at my site, Iw ould avoid the office like the plague! Anyway, he of course doesn't have his teaching down, and the kids are giving him a hard time. I would think it would be status quo for any new teacher going into their first year, but I think it would be harder for him since he is a celebrity.

After watching the first 2 shows, I feel sorry for him. I wanted to cry right along with him, which he does a lot. I think he truly wants to be a good teacher and work with the kids. I think it's more than just a show - I think his heart is in the right place, but it's just going to take time. Heck, I doubt any of us went into to our first teaching job thinking we kicked ass! I didn't, and still have times of doubt. I feel bad for him because the administrators aren't giving him an inch. I wonder if they think he is doing this for show, rather than as a real thing.

I will keep watching the show and hope his year gets better. If it is just for a show, then I will be really pissed off! I hope he is doing this to try to do something meaningful with his life rather than make money off A&E. I guess I'll have to keep watching to see what happens!

1 comment:

  1. He came to my college a few years ago when a girl called his agent asking for some information about him for a project she was doing. Unbeknownst to her, he showed up during her presentation and gave everyone in the class a voucher for a free trip to Italy (it was an Italian language class)!

    He seems like a genuine guy -- I hope it isn't for show either, but because he really wants to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete