10.31.2010

It's Finally the End

Firday was the end of the first trimester. We've completed one-tird of the school year. And it has gone fast. Terrifyingly fast, too! First trimester is the one I feel that if the kids can "Get it", then we are going to be fine this year. Second trimester is hit and miss since there are so many days out of school. And third trimester is playing catch up to get them ready for second grade.

With being out the majority of this last week, I went back on Thursday with a renewed sense of panic. But I am trying to not let it bother me. I am trying, really hard I might add, to let things go. To learn that I can get them done eventually and also to know that I can only do so much in the time I have. I have to learn, after many years of not doing it this way, that I need to take time for me and my family rather than busting my butt for school. It's hard, but I am going to try really hard to do it. I feel uber selfish if I take time out for me when I have a billion other things to do. I have a new book I want to read, but I feel bad sitting and reading when I could be folding laundry, or playing with my daughter. But, I need more me time. Let's see if I can do it!

I finished up my testing last week with my kids. I am not impressed by their lack of learning. There are some who have so much potential, but simply don't try. Half my class is below grade level still, so I feel like I have failed, but then I have to realize how hard I have worked with them and that they have made progress and I feel better. Some kids are going to have a coming-to-Jesus momoent tomorrow when they realize that they aren't making it. I try to remember they are only 6, but it's their time to learn to be responsible, since no one else really is for them.

I feel I got a lot accomplished this last trimester. I tried some new things with my kids and did some new units which were a lot of fun. I still need to revamp them for next year, but I have a whole year to work on them. I also discovered that I suck at teaching math to this group of kids. I need to revamp what I am doing and change things. I am glad I can see that and know what I need to do rather than just send them on and hope for the best!

Tomorrow starts new. I will give myself a fresh start tomorrow with my kids and give them the this-is-a-new-trimester speech and see what happens. I still hav eto do report cards and set up conferences and talk with a parent who wants me to change what I do since it's too easy for her daughter, but I will take it as it comes. We have 12 days of school over the next 3 weeks, thanks to a holiday, a furlough day and teacher work day. It will make for a nice 4 day weekend, though. I am already looking forward to it and planning what I am going to do (fall cleaning and organizing!). Plus, I have a week at Thanksgiving off. November is nice for not having to work a lot and getting some fun things done. Here's to a great second trimester!

No comments:

Post a Comment