9.28.2010

Seriously?!?!?!?!?!

We have been in school now for a full 7 weeks and it's the time of the year when I wonder what will really happen to my kids by the end of the year. I was feeling pretty good about my kids and their progress, then I did testing on DRA and sight words and that all went to hell in a handbag! Don't get me wrong - I have a ton of kids who are just flying right along, doing absolutely awesome on everything. Then there are the ones that I look at and go, "Seriously?!?!?!?!?"

And there are many reasons why I say that. Some of my favorite are as follows.

- One of my students' birthdays in Dec. 2, 2004. Yep, she is still 5 and will be 5 for 2 more months. She is the most immature student I have ever had. She writes like my 4 year old, her speech is worse than my 4 year old (and my daughter is in speech) and she can't listen for crap. Seriously? You put her in Kinder when she was barely 4 1/2? Oh yeah, mom didn't want to pay for preschool, though she could have put her in for free, but she didn't want to home visit. I think it's just an easier way for the parent to not have to be responsible!

-I send a book folder home each night. In it are the 2 books we have read during reading group time. All the kids have to do is read the books to an adult, have them sign the sheet that is on the front and bring it back the next day. I explained this at back to school night, but not everyone can bother to show up for that. I have about 6 kids who don't read at night/return it on time/have it signed/even know where to begin to look for it. It's not rocket science people! Seriously?!?!?!? It's too hard for you to spend 10 minutes reading with your child?

- I have several kids who are not getting free lunch anymore because the parents didn't bother to fill out and return the lunch form. And then they don't send them with money, so they get "salad bar". The salad bar is a pitiful table of crap. Today they had cinnamon apples, so it wasn't all bad, but I don't eat it! The school made several calls home to the parents telling them the deadline was coming up to get the forms in. But it was too hard for the parents to fill in their income and names, I guess. And these are the first parents to complain that their child isn't getting lunch. Seriously?!?!? Fill out the fricken paper so you can keep living off the government! Is that so hard? Oh, yeah, you would have to read in your native language...I guess that is asking too much!

- Many kids coming in to 1st grade are so immature. I have one who cries every time I ask him a question. Even a simple one! He cried yesterday when I asked him to read me his sentence and then told him he wasn't supposed to write the word "Where", but he had to think of a place that his sentence was happening. Tears. Then during math I asked him what 0+7 was about 10 times, showed him the answer, told him the answer and asked him what it was and he just cried. And again, I will be the one who gets yelled at by the parent for making their kid cry. Seriously?!?!? Tell him to grow up and realize that this is school. He has to learn, not just sit and stare into outer space. Oh yeah, he will be 6 at the end of October!

- Yesterday, the temp was 113 at my school, hotter on the blacktop. Please tell me why parents insist on dressing their kids in jeans, a long sleeve shirt and a t-shirt over it? I wore shorts and a sleeveless shirt! I'm not crazy. I know hot when I hear hot. And then the parents wonder why their child goes home not feeling well. Seriously?!?!?!?! Do you know watch the news? Or wonder what it's gonna be like at 1pm when it's 87 at 9am?

- Why are parents OK with their child not being successful? Why is it OK to some that their child fails all their tests and it's not a big deal? Why is it OK for them not to do their work and the parents are OK with that? And we wonder why kids in society are so complacent and think that it's OK for them to be lazy bums. Seriously? Why has that been allowed?

And, with all students who don't take responsibility for their actions, parents who don't give a rats ass and administrators who are clueless, it's the teachers who get shit on by the administration for not doing their job. Seriously?!?!?! I work my butt off during the day and come home trying to figure out how to motivate the unmotivated and mature the immature and I am exhausted at the end of the night. Seriously?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

2 comments:

  1. Can I just tell you that I absolutely love reading your blog- it's such a breath of fresh air. It's refreshing to hear rants of a fellow primary teacher because it's easy to feel like I'm the only one with these same issues. Please keep the posts coming and pop over and say hi sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a child in my class similar to your little girl. UGH, so frustrating. I mean, what kind of parent doesn't help their child at home? Good luck girl!

    ReplyDelete