I really despise parent meetings. I don't not like meeting with parents. It's the excuses I hate having to listen to. I hate having to hear why they can't work with their child, why their child isn't doing well and how it isn't their problem. Um, I hate to break it to you, but it is your problem. It became your "problem" 7 years ago when you got knocked up!!!!
Here are my reasons why I hate parent meetings. Add more if you'd like!
1. Parents schedule meetings and then don't show up. No note, no phone call, nothing. Hey, news flash - I got crap to do, too! My time is just as valuable as yours. I won't waste your time, don't waste mine!
2. Parents who want a meeting, but can't make time for it. It's called take time off of work. I have meetings for my daughter and I will take the day off. My child is important and I want the best for her. I can only give her so much when I am at work, so I will take a half day and do what needs to be done! Oh, and if I call you, call me back!
3. Parents don't know how to tell time. If the meeting is for 2, and the translator told you to be there at 2, show up at 2! 2:10 isn't gonna cut it! And you know school gets out at 1:57, so be there a bit early. Being late isn't gonna make me any happier! ***This was today's meeting!
4. Parents who want to talk about themselves. Honestly, I really don't give a rat's ass about you. I don't care how hard you work, how you have no money and how there is too much homework. I work hard, have no money and I give the homework. Bitch about it and I will give your child more! I'm here to talk about your child, not you.
5. Parents who make excuses for their child. I don't care that you don't speak English - your child does. I hear them every day. They are pretty good at it and know what they are saying. Oh, and your child has soccer, and dance, and gymnastics and art class and there isn't time for homework? Well, then maybe you should homeschool them! They are here to learn and homework is part of that. And your child is getting a free education. Let them put their brain to good use!
6. Parents who have to bring their whole litter with them. I understand you don't have a babysitter, but control your children. I don't like the classroom being torn apart within 2 minutes of you being there. Tell them to sit down, be quiet and wait til you are done. And for goodness sakes, DO NOT whip out your boob to breastfeed the baby. I don't want to see that. You couldn't have planned that better?
7. Parents who talk on their cell phones during a conference. I am guilty of my phone ringing, but I won't answer it. That's why we have voicemail. Duh!
With all this being said, I will wait tomorrow morning to see if a parent shows up. This will be the 3rd conference I have tried to have with her and she has made excuses. Last week it was cramps and this week was jury duty that she "forgot" about. How do you forget that? And cramps? I didn't know I could get out of work for that!!!! I thought real women just sucked it up and went to work!
Let me know if there are any other goodies to add to the list!