9.29.2010

Parent Conferences

I really despise parent meetings. I don't not like meeting with parents. It's the excuses I hate having to listen to. I hate having to hear why they can't work with their child, why their child isn't doing well and how it isn't their problem. Um, I hate to break it to you, but it is your problem. It became your "problem" 7 years ago when you got knocked up!!!!

Here are my reasons why I hate parent meetings. Add more if you'd like!

1. Parents schedule meetings and then don't show up. No note, no phone call, nothing. Hey, news flash - I got crap to do, too! My time is just as valuable as yours. I won't waste your time, don't waste mine!

2. Parents who want a meeting, but can't make time for it. It's called take time off of work. I have meetings for my daughter and I will take the day off. My child is important and I want the best for her. I can only give her so much when I am at work, so I will take a half day and do what needs to be done! Oh, and if I call you, call me back!

3. Parents don't know how to tell time. If the meeting is for 2, and the translator told you to be there at 2, show up at 2! 2:10 isn't gonna cut it! And you know school gets out at 1:57, so be there a bit early. Being late isn't gonna make me any happier! ***This was today's meeting!

4. Parents who want to talk about themselves. Honestly, I really don't give a rat's ass about you. I don't care how hard you work, how you have no money and how there is too much homework. I work hard, have no money and I give the homework. Bitch about it and I will give your child more! I'm here to talk about your child, not you.

5. Parents who make excuses for their child. I don't care that you don't speak English - your child does. I hear them every day. They are pretty good at it and know what they are saying. Oh, and your child has soccer, and dance, and gymnastics and art class and there isn't time for homework? Well, then maybe you should homeschool them! They are here to learn and homework is part of that. And your child is getting a free education. Let them put their brain to good use!

6. Parents who have to bring their whole litter with them. I understand you don't have a babysitter, but control your children. I don't like the classroom being torn apart within 2 minutes of you being there. Tell them to sit down, be quiet and wait til you are done. And for goodness sakes, DO NOT whip out your boob to breastfeed the baby. I don't want to see that. You couldn't have planned that better?

7. Parents who talk on their cell phones during a conference. I am guilty of my phone ringing, but I won't answer it. That's why we have voicemail. Duh!

With all this being said, I will wait tomorrow morning to see if a parent shows up. This will be the 3rd conference I have tried to have with her and she has made excuses. Last week it was cramps and this week was jury duty that she "forgot" about. How do you forget that? And cramps? I didn't know I could get out of work for that!!!! I thought real women just sucked it up and went to work!

Let me know if there are any other goodies to add to the list!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I am SO WITH YOU on #6 and 7!! I have had parents bring their whole lot and the little ones just want to rip up everything while the parent sits there blissfully unaware. I actually told a parent to do something with her kid once ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem with just about all of these. Except, the breastfeeding! Some people just weren't raised the way we were. NO RESPECT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I HATE when the parents bring their 7 children along and then they run around and ri[ apart my neat and organized (borderline obsessive compulsive about orderliness < that's me) room and just act like they have no idea what their kids are doing. Also, number 5 really gets my goat. I can't stand rescheduling conference after conference for YOU and then you don't even freakin' have the decency to show up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not too fond of the parents that contact administration before they contact you. Lately, we have only had one conference not show up on us. The rest of them kept their appointments, and we were exhausted. However, we have a new administration, and I don't appreciate the administration catering to these parents. You know what else bothers me about parents? Parents that have the nerve to say they don't know what is going on at school, but they aren't looking at their child's agenda (that I sign everyday), didn't get an email address to receive announcements, and if they did provide an email address, aren't reading the announcements that I take the time to write, those who have the resources, not use them, wonder why their child is failing, but doesn't take advantage of the programs that can let them log in and check out their kids grades or use email to ask the teacher what is going on or check out the class page that has everything. Different story for the folks who don't have the resources, but I am running into parents that have the resources and aren't using them.

    Oh, and what pisses me off the most is when a parent will drop everything and come to the school if their child's cell phone was confiscated, but won't come to the school to schedule a conference.

    Damn...I didn't realize I had all this in me that needed to come out. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can tell that you are very frustrated and rightfully so. Parents can be your biggest helpers or biggest pains in the neck. Have you checked into any other ways to get parents in your building in a timely manor? I have personally, told my parents that if you can not be on time, then call in so that I am not waiting. Parents started to take me a little more seriously after that. Just saying, its something you could try.

    ReplyDelete