8.14.2010

Review Week

Now that the first day of school has come and gone, it's time to get in to the regular routine. It will still take a few weeks to be in the real routine, but we're off to a good start.

Each week, I try to read books by a different author. This week, we started with Leo the Late Bloomer by Robert Kraus. We talked about how he was different from his friends, but that he eventually learned to do all the things they can do. On Wednesday, the kids did a dot-to-dot of Leo that went with the ABC's. It was interesting to see who did it quickly and who had to say the alphabet each time. On Thursday, we read another book by Robert Kraus, WHose Mouse are You? It was a book we had to plan for in college and it is now one of my favorites. Very easy and simple, but I love it. We reviewed Leo again and did a sequencing page. It's very easy as the pictures are already numbered, but again, it's interesting to see who did it correctly! Finally on Friday, we read Where Are You Going, Little Mouse? After, we reviewed one last time about Leo. The kids then made a large Leo, cut him out and glued him to paper and wrote the sentence "Now Leo can ________." and had to fill in with one thing Leo can do now. I hang them up so the room looks lived in again!




We also started our daily graphing. I think of something simple for the kids to answer and put a magnet on the spot they say. Yesterday's question was "What do tyou like best at school?" And their choices were reading, writing and math. Monday's question is "What is your favorite color?" and the choices are red, yellow and blue.


Here is a picture of the Monkey Manners we came up with. I am hoping it will work this year. The beginning of the year is always hard, trying to get kids to conform to the rules of the class after being home all summer. And, unfortunately, 2 of the kinder classes aren't really made to follow the rules as much. The kids get in trouble when they do something wrong, but there aren't other rewards or consequences. So far I am pleased with what I see, but it's still the honeymoom phase!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm your newest follower! :) I'm a 2nd year K teacher from Kansas. I look forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Monkey Manners! =) My first day back is tomorrow!! I still feel like I'm not ready!

    ReplyDelete