8.04.2010

New pics from school

I went back into to work today. I think tomorrow should do it til next Tuesday. This week has gone by very fast. I'm a little sad that it's going so fast, but what can you do, right?

I took some more pics of things I have been working on this week. I'm about ready for the kiddos to come and move in for the year!


Here is the behavior chart I mentioned in yesterdays post. I will add the clothespins once I get names of kids who are actually there!


This is the student writing wall. Each week, normally on Friday, the kids can write about anything they want. Then they draw a pic and it goes up on the wall. Their names will be written on the little name tags next to each piece. I keep the writings up all year until Open House to show the progress made. It's nice to look from the beginning to the end to see that all make progress, even if it's small progress.


This is my new vocabulary wall. I will write the words for math, social studies and science under each heading. We'll see how this goes for helping learn all the academic vocabulary!


Here is a shot of the calendar area. My poem is up on the board, the days are on the calendar and the graph is ready to be filled in. For the first few months of school, or until I get bored with it, we do a daily graphing question. It really helps them understand how many more, less when they see it every day. Now to think of the questions! I know Really Good Stuff sells a graphing kit similar to this with the graph and questions, but I made my own and saved some cash. It just hurts to think sometimes! You can see my lovely math books in the picture. I still need to find a home for those, rip out the pages I need and stuff, but that's what next week's for, right?

4 comments:

  1. I love that writing wall!! The contrasting color makes it pop out which I'm sure is what you were going for. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've done it for the last 2 years and it makes me make my kids write each week. I feel bad if there isn't new writing up each week and it really shows what they have learned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi...I saw your lovely math books in the above picture...is that the Envision math book? If it is how do you like it? I am starting Envision this year as the core curriculum...any tips or advice on how to use the components will be extremely helpful. Thanks! Love your classroom by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gladys! We've used Envision for the last 2 years. The first year we used it as is. Then last year we went with a pacing guide for it. We mixed up the units a bit. It worked better. There are some good and bad things with it, unfortunately. We had to supplement a lot with the math facts and extra practice. There are some good things there, but there is a lot of crap as well. We are still weeding through the crap! Take as much time as you can on the units to get the most out of them! Good luck! Let me know if you need any help throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete