8.16.2010

Clifford

The Big Red Dog.



In the past, I have done an author study on several popular authors. It's probably not the right way to do an author study, but it works for me, and that's all I care about! For the next 2 weeks, we are going to be reading some of the Clifford books. We started today with Clifford the Big Red Dog. The kids love it because he is larger than life. I like them at the beginning because they are easy to read and comprehend for the kids and they don't get bored with a too-long story. During the study, we will talk about the author and illustrator (one in the same, here), the problems in the stories, compare stories and see how they are the same, write//talk about what it would be like to have Clifford for a pet and do a project coloring and writing about Clifford. I have a video I could show one day, but it would have to be a day we worked to death and were hot and tired (today would have been it!!!). One year, we wrote to Norman Bridwell and then about 3 months later, my class got a posters signed by him. Pretty cool! I think I'm going to try that again this year. We've gotten away from the "fun" thanks to assessments that are never ending. I am going to try to have more fun, while keeping the learning going!

Photos will be posted as soon as we do something fun with Clifford! Any other ideas would be appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. I have always liked the Clifford Song (sung to the tune of BINGO). In case you don't know this one here you go:
    I know a dog who's big and red;
    I wish he lived at my house.
    I would feed him puppy chow.
    He would say, "Bow wow wow!"
    He'd protect me with a growl.
    If Clifford lived at my house

    ReplyDelete