7.06.2010

Planning part 2

Last week I sat down to start planning for the next school year. I got bored quickly! So, I did what I always do when I am bored - jumped on the computer. I started looking at other blogs for different art projects I could with my kids. I am NOT an artist or even close to being an art teacher by any means, but I am trying more now than in the past. I think I have come to realize that I can do more than stick people, it just takes time, effort and a whole lot of eraser!

I found a blog called Deep Space Sparkle, which can be found here: http://deepspacesparkle.blogspot.com/

The author of the blog is an art teacher who has great ideas for each grade level she works with. I have been looking at some of the projects she has done and am trying to figure out how and when they will fit in my classroom throughout the year. I especially love the pictures her studeents did to go with the book Giraffes Can't Dance. I think I will do that one during the first couple weeks of school, just for something fun to do! I can't wait to see what she does next year with her students. I am loving the ideas, which translates to help for the artistically challenged!

I have my daughter enrolled in a Mommy and Me art class. It's more like a big playroom set up with some art stuff and other games and activities. It's not what I had envisioned when I signed her up, but whatever. We'll make do for the next 5 weeks of class (which is how much longer my vacation is). Last week they did the marble art with the paint. Why I never thought of that, I have no idea! It was so simple. So now I am trying to a)find marbles and b) work it into my schedule as to when to do it. I'm thinking red, orange, yellow and brown on a leaf cutout and maybe shades of orange for a pumpkin!?!?!?!? So many new possibilities I never thought of!

With our reading series (Houghton Mifflin, going on it's 9th year now, thank to the CA budget crisis), I have tried to incorporate my crappy art into it. 2 years ago, I decided to expand on a story about the forest and we compared and contrasted that with a rain forest. Our culminating project was a directed drawing of a toucan. Now remember, I drew stick people and animals for years. But, I was crazy enough (and had an AWESOME class of kids) to try it. It turned out beautifully if I saw so myself. In fact, I did it this year and taught another teacher how to make it! It's my new favorite project to do with my kids. Too bad I have to wait til March to do it! I took my new-found talent and used it to draw our animals for our animal book, one from each animal group. We ended up drawing a bird, a frog, a fish and a bee. We never got to mammals since the year ended. Oh well, maybe this next year!

So, as I sit down to plan, I will now add in art to my weekly project list of things to do. Let's face it - I only have 1 day a week to do art, and that is pushing it as it is! Ugh!

1 comment:

  1. I am always looking for creative ways to reinforce what we are learning in the classroom. I checked out Deep Space Sparkle. It has some great ideas. Thanks for sharing this site with us.

    ReplyDelete