6.20.2010

Sundays

During the school year, Sundays are my planning days. Or, they have been in the past. I would save Saturdays for housework, laundry and family stuff. I would then on Sunday evening, break out my bag of school work. I would do lesson plans, grade any left over papers, etc. I always dread it. It's not that I don't like planning for work, but there are a million others things I would rather be doing, even if it's just sitting down with my hubby to watch TV. There are those weeks in my grade book that are blank. Luckily, no one has ever checked my plans in my 12 years of teaching!

Towards the end of this last school year, I started staying a little later each day. It was then that I would grade papers and do lesson plans. I would do math on one day, language arts another, and so on. I also had library time on Friday that I would sit and do my lesson planning while my kids looked for books. It saved me a ton of time and frustration come Sunday. I felt a little guilty over the weekend that I wasn't planning and figuring out what to do. But honestly, I already knew what I was going to do because it was the same thing I have done for the last few years. Boring, boring, boring, blah, blah, blah.

As I stated in an earlier post, I want to make some changes in my teaching. How I teach and what I teach. It will take some time to figure it out, but I am hoping I can use my time before and after school to be a bit more productive so I don't have to come home and figure it all out. I like having my lazt Sundays if I want them. I like being able to lay on the couch with my daughter while she watches Olivia or Little Einsteins. I like being able to read a book of leisure, rather than writing out what I am doing for the week. So, my goal this coming school year is to have my plans done before I leave on Friday and not have to bring work home with me. We'll see how that goes. It may be a lofty goal ,butone I would like to achieve!

1 comment:

  1. I feel you there. My first year of teaching, I started in November and was the 3rd teacher the students had. I also taught a 4th/5th grade split and took a total of 4 grad classes that year. I honestly don't know HOW I did all of that and managed to go home empty-handed as much as I did.

    I have a similar goal to you for next year...I was pretty good the last couple years about not bringing a lot home but now that I'm all done with grad school, I hope to get to school early (about 45 minutes before the kids) and stay about 45 minutes after so I can grade papers and get all of my planning done AT SCHOOL and therefore have a life of my own at home. I love teaching but I definitely have learned I need to balance the time I spend on that with the time I spend on myself and my own kiddos!

    ReplyDelete